Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
Stewards of the World's Forests
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is an international organization that promotes responsible stewardship of the world’s forests. The FSC permits accredited, independent third-party organizations to grant FSC certification to forest managers and forest-product producers.
To receive FSC certification, forest managers and forest-product producers must meet FSC standards that support and reinforce social, environmental, and indigenous interests.
FSC certifiable forest management must maintain the biodiversity of the forest, sustain and reinforce long-term benefits of natural resources, and protect potentially affected ecosystems.
Benefits of FSC Certification
Benefits provided by the FSC include:
- International recognition for forest management efforts to protect native inhabitants
- Assurance that future generations will enjoy the benefits of forests
- Assurance that all wildlife is protected
- Assurance that land ownership and workers’ rights are respected
- Assurance that wood is harvested from areas that are low risk for illegal logging
- Market recognition of the FSC trademark
- Interaction among forest owners and environmental organizations
Chain of Custody (CoC) Certification
FSC Chain of Custody (CoC) Certification is the portion of the FSC system that includes distributors, building supply stores, cabinet makers, millworkers, furniture builders, and contractors. CoC certification sets guidelines for this industry in buying, storing, remanufacturing, and selling FSC-certified products, thereby ensuring their credibility.
The FSC is one of the only internationally recognized, standard-setting organizations in forest management. It is recognized in 145 countries due to its unique dedication to social, environmental, and industrial interests through its standards for responsible forest stewardship. The system requires annual controls of each forest management operation and:
- Restricts the use of hazardous pesticides
- Prohibits cultivation of genetically modified trees
- Avoids illegally harvested wood that is in violation of traditional and civil rights; from conservation areas; from the conversion of natural forests or from genetically altered trees.
For more information on the FSC and other Green initiatives & organizations; please visit our Green Resources page.
Hood Distribution is FSC CoC certified and looks forward to helping support your Green building needs.